Buisnesses and Services that are NOT D/deaf or disability friendly

 I got this idea after struggling to communicate with some services and businesses that claim to be deaf aware.  I know there are lots who claim they are but whose staff don't follow through so I thoguht I'd highlight them here, although I'm sure there are many more than I can come with.


HSBC

I've banked with them since I opened an account in my teens.  NOT once did it occur to me they would be difficult to deal with.  HSBC claim to be deaf friendly and support BT Relay, the reality is staff frequently disconnect a relay call, online banking has removed a significantly large number of functions including ordering pay in and cheque books.  Closed branches including those in nearby cities mean expensive long treks covering distances in excess of 20miles each way and staff are a nightmare to deal with they ignore the question and just tell you what you already know.  

They failed to respond to a request to open an account by my Gran.

With no branches locally I've no idea what instore service is like.


Tesco

INSTORE:  Pre-pandemic I could on a good day get through self service as long as everything worked.  If it didn't I was doomed. Now I'm just doomed as I can't get out anywhere thanks to reduced staff and the closure of self service {for hygiene}. Staff are NOT deaf friendly and make no effort whatsoever.  

They aren't particularly disability friendly either, the speed of the checkout and lack of awareness that customers are struggling is a big issue.

ONLINE: I have only used them once and they moaned the distance to the door meant delivery was taking a long time, longer than it should.  I wouldn't return to them.


Aldi

Unable to shop here, it's just far too complicated trying to get out the checkout, the last time I attempted it a FOUR year old had to help me. There's no visible screen to avoid hearing for a start.  It's not disability friendly either, it's hard if not impossible to keep up with repacking the trolley and the poistion of leaning across makes it very difficult for those with physical disabilities.


Homebargains

Sometimes it would be okay but others it's not, it definitely depends on individual staff.  I also don't like how everything gets moved so often it disorientates and makes it difficult because asking for help isn't always possible if staff aren't deaf aware.  I've put it on this list because there were more negative than positive situatoins of shopping instore.


Morrisons

This isn't too bad disability wise but it's NOT deaf friendly. The background noise from music etc is horrific, there's no support or awareness in getting through the checkout because staff are etiher not deaf aware or refuse to be deaf friendly. This is my worst store in Devon for shopping at!


B and M

It's terrible, staff have zero interest in assisting customers with hearing difficulties and the checkouts are not designed for ease of access.  The fact that you have to walk the permiter of the store to enter really doesn't help either.


I think that's most places I've visited in the last five to ten years that aren't deaf frienldy.  Of course there will be places such as GP practices that are or aren't but because I'm in the process of encouraging a change in practise they won't be named.  Next time I'll discuss the places I've found to be the most deaf friendly.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A conclusion

Remembrance

Self Care